X doesn't seem to load app-defaults using gdm

Hi,

I'm currently using gdm and I'm a bit puzzled by what exactly happens
(or doesn't happen) when starting X. I tried using a self-modified
.xsession and X starts fine, but the app-defaults for xterm aren't
loaded. Furthermore, when using one of the other Sessions, for instance
fluxbox or gnome, some of the defaults for certain programs aren't read.

/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt contains the following two lines:
background:black
foreground:white
Yet rxvt is allways loaded with background white and foreground black.

greets,
kromagg

--
Only two things are infinite: human stupidity and the universe, and I'm
not sure about the latter. -- Albert Einstein