Problems with new Debian install.

I'm trying to get Sarge up and running on my Vaio
laptop (GR390) and am having some problems. I'm using
the official netinst CD image (from 2/26/03). Also,
I'm behind a firewall and must go through an HTTP
proxy.

My first (minor) problem is with selecting from a list
of options (such as choosing a mirror to install
from). When the list gets too long, the first options
scroll off the top and I can't see them any more. Is
there a way to scroll or page these lists (and output
messages)?

My second (major) problem is with installing the
kernel (step 14). I've stumbled through the previous
steps, but when I try to install the kernel, the
screen scrolls and quickly comes back to the main menu
(with step 14 still chosen as the default). The
messages at the top of the screen are:

  kernel-installer's postinst exited with status 25600
  installer[2374]: Setting main menu question priority
to critical

Then I'm back to the main menu.

If I use Ctrl-S to pause the printout, I can see the
following messages:

    cramfsprogs dash zlib1g
    cramfsprogs dash initrd-tools zlib1g

and other messages from apt. When it finally gets to
downloading the packages, I get several messages like
the following:

  Err http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu sarge/main dash
0.4.1
    Could not resolve 'linux.csua.berkeley.edu'

This sounds like the http_proxy environment variable
is not being set, but things worked fine when I
installed the base system? Does anyone have any idea
about what's going wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Brian