Re: VCDs (was Newbie Functioning In Debian)

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 17:46, Robert Storey wrote:
> On 27 Feb 2003 11:05:05 -0500
> "Mark L. Kahnt" <kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
> > with my options to ./configure, I can sit back and watch my business and
> > news channels over the Internet 24/7, and check the vcds I'm burning of
> > my parents' home movies (they converted 8 mm film that had broken
> > numerous times to VHS, which the vcr then proceeded to eat. Since there
> > is no audio, each two hour vhs tape is comfortably fitting on a single
> > vcd.)
>
> Greetings Mark. You piqued my interest when you mentioned "burning VCDs." Under Linux, I have not been able to either copy or roll-my-own VCDs. Xcdroast, for example, seems to copy VCDs fine - but the copies won't play. Most any Windows burner program I've used can at least copy a VCD without a hiccup. What software are you using? Is there a FAQ you can point me to that gives some info on how to convert VHS tapes to VCDs?
>
> TIA,
> Robert

Use the shell for this one - you want the feedback confirming that
things are actually cooperating.

mkvcdfs <list of mpegs to be included - don't try to squeeze in
non-mpegs>

sudo cdrdao --device <as appropriate> --driver <as appropriate> --speed
<noticeably less than rated speed for some reason> vcd.toc

I do presume that you have vcdtools installed.

As to recording from the VHS tapes, that is for me a tv tuner card
(Hauppauge here) and your favourite recording approach as works with
your card. My card is particularly ornery and has never let me record
sound anyhow (I'm missing something in the settings, I know,) so I am
pretty amazed that it hasn't been as much of a problem with this as
usual (although I seem to need to rework the settings from one tape to
the next.)

To be honest, I would love to get mencoder to take in tv tuner feed and
send it directly to an mpeg encoding and to a file. I just don't do
enough of this to make it worth the time of memorising the documentation
to that point. I generally have zapping running the tv tuner 24/7 (and
just muted the rest of the time) and it tends to crap out when I want to
record something that looks good :(
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org