Re: (Newbie) Functioning In Debian

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 04:37:39PM -0600, Donald Spoon wrote:
> I d/l the tarball from sourceforge.net as soon as I saw this & installed
> it.  It IS "neat"!  The only problem was that I had to grab the
> Quicktime win32 audio dlls to get sound going.   With this addition,
> mplayer is now functionally in the same league as QuickTime or WMP
> running under Crossover/Wine on my machines...  If you don't want to go
> the Crossover route, Mplayer is definately your best "all-in-one"
> solution, IMHO.

mplayer is quite slick.  I really like how the GUI is optional in
mplayer, and fail to grasp how people coming from Windows see this as
a bug.  Media players don't need 40,000 pounds of chrome over them
about as much as they need to be web browsers, and I think a good
portion of Windows users agree (contrary to the existance of Windows
Media Player).  Honestly, what do these people expect?

I've only two minor complaints about mplayer: Resizing the window
should not change the aspect ratio of the video being played, I feel
this is a bug.  The other is not a complaint so much about mplayer as
it is prevelent formats and the idea of software "property": Some of
the codecs are non-free and it wouldn't surprise me if they infringe
on patents.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user