Problem with viewing video under debain3.0

Title: Problem with viewing video under debain3.0

Hello,
can anybodey help me? I'm Fabio27 from Berlin Germany and I'm using Debian 3.0 and get a XINE error:  IMLIB ERROR: Cannot Find Palette. A Palette is required for this mode Unable to initialize Imlib.

Ogle has also a strange behavior, when I'm trying to load an *.avi    ogle closes itself immediately without any error massage.

VLC loads teh *.avi but no window/film/sound is displayed. What went wrong.
XMMS - smpeg doesn't load teh *.avi file , it's not selected after opening it.
I can't find the highly prized Mpalyer (also the Avi-player) on the woody 3.0  8CD's package with "dselect". Does it has another name on Debian, or is it still not available?

What can I do, is there any multimedia or video tutorial for Debian with FAQ's available.
Please help,
thanks a lot
Fabio

PS: Under Win98 it works fine with the Media Player or the DivX Alpha Player 2.0 on my amd k6 2 now 350 MHz Laptop 32MB  RAM.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards / احتراما تي مع
Cordiali Saluti / Saudações / met vriendelijke groeten
avec mes meilleures salutations / med vänliga hälsningar
Üdvözlettel / c srcni pozdrav /  yoroshiku onegai itashimasu
Saygilarimla selamlar / наилучшими пожеланиями

Fabio Fiorillo
Call Agent
Getronics-Help-You-Desk GmbH
Markgrafen Str. 22