Re: wine and IE

Colin Watson wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 11:04:15AM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
>> Colin Watson wrote:
>> >Not everybody developing for the web is a shopkeeper (thank God). If I'm
>> >not trying to sell something and therefore achieve Perfect Marketing Zen
>> >in the quest to do so, I honestly don't care if their rendering is a bit
>> >off due to them using a five-year-old browser; I'll write
>> >standards-compliant content - which means that browsers should be able
>> >to extract the information even if not all the formatting - and if the
>> >rendering doesn't look right then that's their problem.

>> Ah, Colin.  You misunderstand my point.  From an earlier post, except
>> for the Ego pages, web pages are the store fronts of e-commerce.
>
>I guess you must do e-commerce for a living, but for the rest of us the

Only in a very small manner---and that mostly advisory, trying to put a
lid on the graphic artists.

>distinction is not even close to as clear-cut as that. I actually find
>it kind of offensive that e-commerce people think that everything that
>predated them on the web must have been pure ego.

No, I mean by Ego pages, the ones that say "hey, look at my neat-o
page", or "here's my new baby".  Even at that, I'm not being quite
fair--that is information of a sort.

>(Consider, for example, science, the birthplace of the web. If you think
>that science is just ego then we have nothing further to discuss ...)

Not at all.  My earlier post clearly stated that information is one of
the two reasons for web pages.  Commerce includes the trade in ideas.
Presenting a paper at an IEEE forum is no less commerce than selling a
loaf of bread.

>> To expect your customer (for ideas or goods or services) to change their
>> ways to suit your page is ridiculous.
>
>Which is why one uses semantic markup (tables, for example, aren't
>semantic) to allow the "customer" to control things themselves. Sure,

Authors do not have final say on how the final product looks, but that
is no reason they can't suggest structure to better communicate.

>some degree of testing is absolutely sensible, but good semantic markup
>reduces the load on the coder as well.

Just my point.  If you want someone to accept your information, don't
you think it's your responsibility to make it legible to as many as
possible? (Including some logical structure, as needed.)  As for tables,
et al, they are a fact of web life and often just must be dealt with.
--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---