Re: spamassassin - three basic questions

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 12:16:37PM -0500, Levi Waldron wrote:
> On February 21, 2003 11:24 am, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > Maybe not necessary, but, unless your mailserver is horribly slow,
> > it'll be done so quick that it's not going to hurt anything anyhow.
>
> I actually find spamassassin runs pretty slowly on my K6-2/500MHz 384MB
> machine (I know it's not real fast but not a dinosaur either).  It takes
> about 5-10 seconds per message, so before I started filtering my debian-user
> messages before processing, it was prohibitive.

That sounds unreasonably slow to me, too.  I currently run two
mailservers, a P3/1GHz 256M at work and a Athlon 900 256M at home.
Both are scanning all inbound mail using spamd.  Looking over the
logs, I see that I'm running at 0 seconds for about 85% of messages
and 1 second for almost all the rest.

I bet you're not running spamd, which means you're taking the hit for
starting up perl on every message scanned.  That would hurt pretty
bad, now that I think about it...

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that