Re: wine and IE

-- Gary Turner <kk5st@sbcglobal.net> wrote
(on Thursday, 20 February 2003, 09:27 PM -0600):
> Paul Johnson wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 01:43:29AM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
> >> If only that were true.  Every page I produce is 100% W3C compliant.
> >> That's not enough.  In the area of CSS alone, IE for Windows is not
> >> compliant, while IE for Mac is.
> >
> >So slap the appropriate W3C compliant buttons on there so if they want
> >to test it out in Windows IE they can find out it's not you who sucks.
>
> It's not really a question of who sucks and who blows ;)  Java Script,
> Flash, frames, tables, and graphics are compliant technologies, so does

Actually, I beg to differ regarding Flash -- if a technology requires
that the browser utilize a plugin in order to work, I wouldn't call it
standardized. Otherwise, spot on.

> Lynx suck if it doesn't support them?  Do you tell folks to eff off if
> they choose to use Lynx?
>
> All web sites (except maybe 'look-at-me' sites) are meant to sell
> something and/or provide information.  It stands to reason that the web
> site designer is charged with the responsibility of making sure that the
> site can be viewed by the maximum number of people and does not break on
> some browser(s).  He can either back off some technologies, or provide
> some kind of alternative, or maybe just decide that it's not all that
> broken.  Without testing, how does he make an informed decision?
> Telling your (potential) customers they're not welcome on your site is
> not an option.

"or provide some kind of alternative" -- exactly. And sometimes that
alternative is simply a different stylesheet or utilizing bugs in how a
browser works so that the content can be displayed in a reasonable
fashion. And you won't know that you need the workarounds unless you
view in the given app and/or OS, nor will you know if the solution
actually works.

Which was my whole point in starting the thread -- I'm trying to do
this. Once my deadlines aren't looming so heavily, I'll try and see if I
can get some of the solutions presented working.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net