Re: /etc/modules, /etc/modules.conf and others

-- Russell Shaw <rjshaw@iprimus.com.au> wrote
(on Saturday, 22 February 2003, 01:59 AM +1100):
> Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> >-- J.F.Gratton <grajea02@hotmail.com> wrote
> >(on Thursday, 20 February 2003, 09:53 PM -0500):
> >
> >>I might be using workarounds or not using my system effeciently but ....
> >>I've never had to tamper with /etc/modules.conf.
> >>
> >>All I did so far to get modules to load and to work was to put them into
> >>/etc/modules.
> >>
> >>For instance: on a 2.2.x kernel, my NIC module is rtl8139.o . In the
> >>2.4.x series, the module has been renamed to 8139too.o (actually it's a
> >>new module, but let's not split hairs). All I did was to replace the
> >>rtl8139 entry into /etc/modules with 8139too .
> >>
> >>What is the use of /etc/modules.conf et al. then ?
> >

> >/etc/modules is used by Debian to manually add modules the user/sysadmin
> >wishes to load at boot time. After adding them, you then run
> >'update-modules' as root, which reads this,
>
> I don't think update-modules reads /etc/modules, only the files
> in /etc/modutils. If you add modules to /etc/modules and don't
> need to do anything special for them, there's no need to do
> update-modules.

I stand corrected -- I just looked at the manpage for update-modules,
and this is indeed the case. Typically, if the modules I'm loading
are using any options, pre-install or post-install operations, or
aliases, I'm playing around in /etc/modutils/ anyways, so I hadn't
considered that entries I was adding to /etc/modules weren't being
written to /etc/modules.conf. (Short answer -- they don't need to be, as
they're not utilizing module options; as long as a depmod has been run
on the present kernel and it's modules, all should be fine.)

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net