Re: DHCP/DNS assistance

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 01:02:17PM -0800, Russell Zauner wrote:
> Hi,
> Apologies in advance for long post
[snip, snip - a lot of it lost in this reply I'm afraid... - slight
reformatting done too]

> Some says that DHCP can handle DNS forwarding and requests, routing,
> WINS and netBIOS, and a slew of other things, and some don't even
> mention those things...

DHCP doesn't actually *do* the forwarding of anything AFAIK; it merely
has config options to let the DHCP clients know the IP addresses of
things (which can usually be expressed as names in the config). The rest
is up to the clients. DHCP merely leases out IP addresses.

> I'd like to optimally run everything from one box, taking the
> connection on eth0 and running it through whatever I need to to get my
> lan running off eth1.  No Netfilter/IPtables advice yet.

You'll need iptables to get the box reasonably secure. But why not
secure it first rather than leaving yourself at risk?  Could be a messy
cleanup...

> I set up DHCP and faked it out so that it doesn't gripe
> about eth0 not having a subnet config (hours of study and
> trial...there's supposed to be a simple config setting for
> this, but it didn't work for me and I couldn't find any of
> the files or directories that were pointed out in all my
> searches)

At least for dhcp3-server it is a simple tweak - the name of the
interface goes on the command line. IIRC it was the same for dhcpd.
Simple tweaks to the /etc/init.d/* script.

> But the clients can't resolve hostnames.  Do I need to fully set up
> and run a DNS server or can I forward requests to the stuff that's
> configured on eth0?  I tried setting the client's gateway to various
> points but it didn't seem to help.  Likewise for the DNS servers.

Which hostnames cannot be resolved? Local or external?

If you run a small internal network, you are probably best off setting
up a small DNS server on the box, with your ISP's name servers as
forwarders in named.conf - the box can then use 127.0.0.1 in
/etc/resolv.conf as name servers (IIRC that's the default anyway).

To get the rest of the network to resolve names you need to tweak the
dhcpd config:

    option domain-name-servers [IP-of-box-with-local-dns-server]

> Please, no links to google hits on ibiblio, tldp, linux newbies, etc.
> There's always something else to look at, but I think I've exhausted
> that avenue pretty extensively.

Nah - man-pages should do quite nicely. And most config files are nicely
annotated :-)

> plz cc:all because I may not be at work if you answer this
> and I'm not a member of this particular list, either.
> (deb-mentors/deb-jr)

Time to subscribe then! For this one-off, I don't mind cc'ing. Others
might.

HTH
--
Karl E. Jørgensen