DHCP/DNS assistance

Hi,
Apologies in advance for long post, but I want to be
thorough so I can get a direct answer.  I know someone out
there can help me.

My problem is probably pretty simple to someone who's done
it before.  But I am getting confused wading through all the
documentation piles on the net, most of which is outdated
and some states specifically that the potato methods don't
necessarily work for woody.  Some says that DHCP can handle
DNS forwarding and requests, routing, WINS and netBIOS, and
a slew of other things, and some don't even mention those
things...Most of the representative set-ups aren't complete
or have different ISP connections (guess I"m lucky or
cursed, depending on how you look at it).  I'd like to
simplify my server set up as much as possible (not
necessarily meaning operating more functions through one
service, unless it is easier that way).

I've done hours of searching, studying, and trying many
configurations of the set up...I think I know the way around
the system well enough at this point to be able to
understand/implement what suggestions are offered.  I'd like
to optimally run everything from one box, taking the
connection on eth0 and running it through whatever I need to
to get my lan running off eth1.  No Netfilter/IPtables
advice yet.  I'm not ready for it or there yet, and there's
TONS of scripts, advice, tutorials, etc on the web.  DHCP,
DNS, and BIND are sort of lacking, I found.

That being said

Here is the situation (I still have to keep windows boxes
around, so no razzing please):

System has two NIC, eth0/1.

I have a broadband connection with static IP on eth0.  It
has Pri/Sec DNS and gateway settings that point back at my
ISP.

I want to run services on eth1 so that it can serve linux or
windows clients, no problem.  It's a small network (machine
count), so I'm not sure if I need to run samba as a PDC
outside of smbd/nmbd and smbclient (if necessary), I"m not
running that many on windows anymore...I want this because
I'm running multiple boots on all my systems, linux and
windows, so it's like having several systems per system that
I'd have to maintain.  They also get tore down and rebuilt
as necessary.

I set up DHCP and faked it out so that it doesn't gripe
about eth0 not having a subnet config (hours of study and
trial...there's supposed to be a simple config setting for
this, but it didn't work for me and I couldn't find any of
the files or directories that were pointed out in all my
searches) and I can hand out addresses and connect via
TCP/IP.  FTP, telnet, ssh, all work just fine.  But the
clients can't resolve hostnames.  Do I need to fully set up
and run a DNS server or can I forward requests to the stuff
that's configured on eth0?  I tried setting the client's
gateway to various points but it didn't seem to help.
Likewise for the DNS servers.

I know that theoretically, none of this should have to be
set at the client end if the server is configured properly,
and I'd like to learn the "most right" way to do it, instead
of picking away and hacking at it blindly.  I don't like to
bother people asking for help, but it's becoming clear that
I need a couple of good ptr to continue in an efficient and
effective manner.  Please, no links to google hits on
ibiblio, tldp, linux newbies, etc.  There's always something
else to look at, but I think I've exhausted that avenue
pretty extensively.

It also occured to me that since  a lot of the network
configs seem to default to eth0 that maybe I should serve
from there and configure eth1 as my external connection
(they are identical adapters), but I was worried also about
possible issues because of same reason.  If something gets
funny, it will get at eth0 first.  I'd like that not to
happen.  Probably a minor concern, though.

Anyhow, that's probably way more than I needed to say,
thanks for putting up with the length, snip at will if you
even got this far!

-russ

plz cc:all because I may not be at work if you answer this
and I'm not a member of this particular list, either.
(deb-mentors/deb-jr)