Re: Replicating a system... sort of

Paul M Foster wrote:
I'm attempting to set up a replacement system for the one on my desk.
(When done, I'll swap them out.) This gets awfully tedious when I have
to pick every package in dselect. My current desktop is a Woody, but the
system I'm setting up is testing.

I have a list of packages that I put on every system I run, for example:
lynx, hextype, units, remind, links, nosql3, sqlite, etc. I'd like to be
able to install a base system, put these package names in some text
file, point dselect/apt (or something else) at it, and have them
downloaded and configed as usual. Is there a package that does this?

Paul

I just cloned my HDD with a small script to copy everything
relevant. I then booted the new pc with the debian install-floppy
and made the HDD bootable by running lilo. It's a good way of
making backups on spare HDDs.