Re: SSH and Restart problems

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 04:02:50PM -0600, Mailing List wrote:
> We seem to have an issue with one of our Debian servers.
>
> When we go to reboot or such, SSH will not start, even though it's set to do
> so. We can't get it to manually start either. We have had to go in and do
> the following
>

>  rm -f /dev/null
>  mknod -m 666 /dev/null c 1 3
>
> Then we restart SSH and all is fine. Sometimes this will effect Apache but
> not as much as SSH on this particular box.

Well, certainly the /dev/null thing is a smoking gun; sshd won't start
if it's broken (and possibly other servers will have problems too, since
the reason sshd won't start under those circumstances is that the
daemon() library call needs a working /dev/null). I guess you just have
to find out what's trashing that device node, perhaps by inserting 'ls
-l /dev/null' at various stages in the shutdown and boot processes ...
if you figure it out, please tell us.