SSH and Restart problems

We seem to have an issue with one of our Debian servers.

When we go to reboot or such, SSH will not start, even though it's set to do
so. We can't get it to manually start either. We have had to go in and do
the following

 rm -f /dev/null
 mknod -m 666 /dev/null c 1 3

Then we restart SSH and all is fine. Sometimes this will effect Apache but
not as much as SSH on this particular box.

We have identical builds of Debian on 4 other servers using woody. Any
possible reason this particular box would be doing this. It's a Compaq
Deskpro, the others are HP boxes.
--
Thanks!!
David Thurman