DONE: Apt-install base system to non-root drive?

Rob Weir declaimed:
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 09:30:40PM -0800, Paul Mackinney wrote:
> > Hi, I'm off to cruise through the docs, but some quick help on this
> > would be appreciated. I have a booting, network-capable system, but
> > it's not running well. I'd like to install a clean copy of Sarge to a
> > spare hard drive. The Sarge net-install CD was a total failure (see
> > rant below, or ignore it). So is there any easy way to run the base
> > install to a local partition? Once it's there I can boot it with grub
> > and I'll be set. The Apt-HOWTO doesn't seem to cover this. Can dpkg or
> > dselect do it?
>
> Use debootstrap to create a base Debian installation, which you can boot
> into and then expand upon.  The canonical guide for this is Karsten's
> Debian Chroot Install HOWTO, available from
> http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/DebianChrootInstall.html

Thanks very much. I did something else, but if Karsten wrote it, I'll
read his HOWTO.

> With regards to installing Sarge...
<<<--  rant deleted -->>>
> <antirant>Would this be a Sarge debian-installer iso?

Indeed it would, it's the entirely cool, debian-authorized 80+ MB
netinstall CD. The problem (other than me) was that although nothing
on the Welcome screen mentioned this (it isn't customized for a net
install CD yet), I had to enter 'net' at the boot: prompt to get
things going properly.

Still had the problem with menus scrolling off the top of the screen,
but was able to to get the install done. 24 hours later I'm sitting at
a running system with my old /home directory and 70%+ of the
mission-critical stuff going.

Now that everyone's been so kind, I guess I ought to demonstrate some
good citizenshipedness and go check out the bug list for the Sarge
install and see if I can log anything helpful.

Thanks! Paul
--
Paul Mackinney
paul@mackinney.net