Re: firewall -- best practices

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:08:15PM +1100, Joyce, Matthew wrote:
> I have been using ipCop on a P133 with dsl, no problems at
> all, *very easy* to setup. (if the machine has a bootable cd
> drive)

i was using ipcop until i found out they mostly lifted code from
smoothwall.org; so i tried smoothwall.org and learned what it'd
feel like to be a nun in a whorehouse. those people are AWFUL.

clarkconnect.org has a very nice setup and it's working like a
champ for us. nice graphs on traffic, load, processes, a java
command-line in your web browser (ssh) to munge your system,
squid for web caching, snort for intrusion detection...

	http://clarkconnect.org/

very nice. (whereas smoothwall, particularly the folk offering
it to the public, sucks wet moss.)

anybody know of one of these downloadable firewall-on-iso gizmos
that are based on debian?

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #70 from Jeff <dr0ker@yahoo.com>
:
The Debian-specific command:
	update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
allows you to quickly CHANGE YOUR DEFAULT WINDOW MANAGER. You
might fiddle with "x-session-manager" settings instead, if it's
appropriate for your Debian setup.
  Try "man update-alternatives" to see a list of some of the
other default settings you may alter with the command.