Re: Apt-install base system to non-root drive?

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 09:30:40PM -0800, Paul Mackinney wrote:
> Hi, I'm off to cruise through the docs, but some quick help on this
> would be appreciated. I have a booting, network-capable system, but
> it's not running well. I'd like to install a clean copy of Sarge to a
> spare hard drive. The Sarge net-install CD was a total failure (see
> rant below, or ignore it). So is there any easy way to run the base
> install to a local partition? Once it's there I can boot it with grub
> and I'll be set. The Apt-HOWTO doesn't seem to cover this. Can dpkg or
> dselect do it?

Use debootstrap to create a base Debian installation, which you can boot
into and then expand upon.  The canonical guide for this is Karsten's
Debian Chroot Install HOWTO, available from
http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/DebianChrootInstall.html

With regards to installing Sarge, I'm pretty sure the standard method is
to get a woody install disk (or netinst iso; Blade's has always worked
well for me), install the base system, then point apt at your local
sarge mirror and use aptitude or whatever to finish the install with
sarge.

> [rant] Burned a copy of the netinst CD for Sarge and had a _bad_
> experience: dialogs scroll options off the top of the display, no way
> to page up and see what the first six options were, operations fail
> and I'm told "go back" to a previous sections but no mechanism to do
> so is provided (reboot & start over?), attempt to load Tulip network
> driver fails because the module can't be found although I'm booted
> from the durn install CD. [/rant]

<antirant>Would this be a Sarge debian-installer iso?  The current
install system, which both potato and woody used (and probably earlier
ones, too) is called 'boot-floppies' (though it works from CDs, too) and
has turned into such a pile of cruft that the install team have refused
to touch it again :)  The new system (which sarge will release with) is
called 'debian-installer' and is (AFAIK) at a prealpha stage at the
moment; it's only usable by people who want to get hit with bugs and to
help fix them.  If there weren't dig warnings about the very early state
of the code on the site you got this from, go complain to the webmasters
:) </antirant>

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/