Apt-install base system to non-root drive?

Hi, I'm off to cruise through the docs, but some quick help on this
would be appreciated. I have a booting, network-capable system, but
it's not running well. I'd like to install a clean copy of Sarge to a
spare hard drive. The Sarge net-install CD was a total failure (see
rant below, or ignore it). So is there any easy way to run the base
install to a local partition? Once it's there I can boot it with grub
and I'll be set. The Apt-HOWTO doesn't seem to cover this. Can dpkg or
dselect do it?

[rant] Burned a copy of the netinst CD for Sarge and had a _bad_
experience: dialogs scroll options off the top of the display, no way
to page up and see what the first six options were, operations fail
and I'm told "go back" to a previous sections but no mechanism to do
so is provided (reboot & start over?), attempt to load Tulip network
driver fails because the module can't be found although I'm booted
from the durn install CD. [/rant]

TIA, Paul
--
Paul Mackinney