Re: fsck finding thousands of errors

Leo Spalteholz wrote:

On February 19, 2003 02:39 pm, Daniel B. wrote:
Levi Waldron wrote:
On February 13, 2003 07:28 pm, Daniel Barclay wrote:
Are you using DMA?
...  I didn't do anything outside of a
normal  stock installation to turn DMA support on or off.
The Linux kernel and some IDE controllers don't work together, and
can cause several filesystem corruption.

You probably want to turn DMA off ("hdparm -d0 ...") until you can
confirm that this is not your problem.

Do you know if support for any IDE controllers was dropped in 2.4 vs 2.2? I can run kernel 2.2 fine on my server but when I tried to update to 2.4 (standard debian kernel image) it gave me a whole crapload of fsck errors on boot. Booting kernel 2.2 I could after much pain fix most of them. So it seems that something in 2.4 is corrupting my filesystem.. I can't remember the exact version I tried and don't really want to try again but it was 2.4.16 or 17. How could I find out what IDE controller I have and whether it's supported? I have some crappy no name board in that server.

The 2.4 kernel may have more or different options set compared to the 2.2 kernel.
You should review the 2.4 kernel config settings then recompile.