Re: fsck finding thousands of errors

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 10:12:33PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 08:43:21PM -0500, Levi Waldron wrote:
> >Do you know what's wrong with this hard drive, or how to troubleshoot it?
> >It's almost brand new, but is it a warranty item?
>
> who knows maybe it's software error, but more likely a loss of power
> while running/writting, but much much more likely a disk failure.

I reckon it's a disk failure. I had exactly the same thing happen, but
with a SCSI disk, so the SCSI driver spat out all sorts of helpful
error messages like "Unrecoverable read error" and other technical
euphemisms for "fucked". And just prior to this it had been giving me
messages about running out of room in the grown defects map.

It Shouldn't Happen To A Brand New Disk... doesn't mean it never will.

> anyway, you can use the -y option in fsck to answer yes to all the
> questions.

This is true, but in this situation you won't find anything useful on
the disk at the end of it.

You might not even get to the end of it. After fixing a few hundred
thousand errors automatically it may come to something it can't fix. I
tried three times, got this problem, and decided it wasn't worth
bothering with. Fortunately I had backups.

Pigeon