Re: fsck finding thousands of errors

On February 19, 2003 02:39 pm, Daniel B. wrote:
> Levi Waldron wrote:
> > On February 13, 2003 07:28 pm, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> > > Are you using DMA?
> >
> > ...  I didn't do anything outside of a
> > normal  stock installation to turn DMA support on or off.
>
> The Linux kernel and some IDE controllers don't work together, and
> can cause several filesystem corruption.
>
> You probably want to turn DMA off ("hdparm -d0 ...") until you can
> confirm that this is not your problem.

Do you know if support for any IDE controllers was dropped in 2.4 vs
2.2?  I can run kernel 2.2 fine on my server but when I tried to
update to 2.4 (standard debian kernel image) it gave me a whole
crapload of fsck errors on boot.  Booting kernel 2.2 I could after
much pain fix most of them.  So it seems that something in 2.4 is
corrupting my filesystem..  I can't remember the exact version I
tried and don't really want to try again but it was 2.4.16 or 17.
How could I find out what IDE controller I have and whether it's
supported?  I have some crappy no name board in that server.

Thanks
Leo