Re: Group ID

Michael Wardle wrote:

On Thursday, February 20, 2003 08:14, Russell Shaw wrote:
Colin Watson wrote:
On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 03:04:25AM +1100, Russell Shaw wrote:
If i had to regenerate a config file that a program uses, is it
possible to detect what GID the program uses if it is set from
within the program?
Any particular reason it can't just be root:root -rw-r--r-- (if it's
in /etc) or owned by you (if it's in your home directory)? That's
what most configuration files are.
I set them all to my own user:group, but mozilla seems to have
some 'stuck' settings. I found a useful command is:
 ps -eo pid,user,euser,fuser,group,egroup,fgroup,cmd

Ah! So you're trying to set the correct permissions on the Mozilla configuration files!

The first thing to learn is it's best not to change permissions on files you didn't create. ;-)

I just migrated to debian from the windoze box which had mozilla on it. I
copied the profiles and news/mail directories from the windoze box. I set
the ownership of everything to my own. I hate the email composer editor in
the linux version of mozilla. I can't set it to keep using a fixed width font. Anyway, the group linux.debian always shows it has 6 unread messages even after i've read everyting in it. A few other groups do that too. Maybe it's mozilla bugs.

Why not start a new Mozilla session with "mozilla -ProfileManager", create a new profile, and compare permissions?

I'm thinking of setting up a *real* email system without mozilla.