Re: fsck finding thousands of errors

On February 13, 2003 07:28 pm, Daniel Barclay wrote:

> Do you have IDE disks?

Yes.

> Are you using DMA?

It's a Western Digital 80G HD.  The WD website at
http://www.wdc.com/products/Products.asp?DriveID=5&Lang=1
says, among other things:

Interface: Ultra ATA/100
Mode 5 Ultra ATA100.0 MB/s
Mode 4 Ultra ATA66.6 MB/s
Mode 2 Ultra ATA33.3 MB/s
Mode 4 PIO16.6 MB/s
Mode 2 multi-word DMA16.6 MB/s

Does this help answer your question?  I didn't do anything outside of a
normal  stock installation to turn DMA support on or off.

> If so, what kind of motherboard and/or IDE controller cards are you
> using?

Motherboard: Soyo Dragon - AMD Socket-A Base Via KT266 ATX
CPU: AMD 1400 Thunderbird
RAM: 256K 266-DDR
/dev/hdb1 is 20GB

fsck has now been running for 28 consecutive hours, and the numbering of the
inodes suggests it has "fixed" 60,000 of them now.  Maybe I can get a world
record!  How many inodes would one 20G partition have?  I wonder what order
of magnitude of time it might take for fsck to finish?

--
-Levi