Re: I will never go back to RH

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 09:52:26PM -0800, nate wrote:
> will trillich

Hi,

> > isn't redhat implementing apt-get on their stuff these days?
>
> not that i've seen. I don't count up2date as an apt-get replacement
> since it only (appears) to track installed packages.
Well up2date and the connected RedHat Network ist a little bit more than
just a plain frontend fro rpm. It's more a system for easy administration
of bigger networks. Something like the Volution stuff from SCO Group former
known as Caldera.

There is a port of apt for rpm systems called apt-rpm initiated and developed
by Conectiva. I collected a few links and related stuff here with focus on RH:
http://hoaxter.telelev.net/aptrpm/
It's a little bit outdated cause I'm moving my archives and other stuff into
another domain and on new machines.

> there's a port of apt-get of course, but without a good archive
> to back it up, it's usefulness is limited.
Well if you have to maintain more than your 3 machines at home you will
think about setting up your own server with local archives and self packaged
stuff like crapy binary soft or repackaged stuff with your configs.

Anyway there are sites like freshrpms.net who offer usefull packages for RH
systems in a apt compatible way.

I'm running 4 Servers and a bunch of clients with RH 7.3 since the release of
RH 7.2 in the office. It was a compromiss with the other two guys and it's
working quite well. We upgraded all machines from RH 7.2 -> RH 7.3 on the fly
without a problem.
Ok now let's go to the negativ parts:
First of all the new sec support plan from RH will kick out the 7.3 release at
the end of this year. The result for us is that we have to track sec updates
on our own or we have to upgrade to the RH Advanced Server.
Another option would be the upgrade to RH 8.x but that results in a lot of
trouble cause of some strange dependencies. So here you can repackage some
parts but that is not easy and not a funny job.

> (sees redhat CVS machine booting up)
>
> boss: "what's that?"
> me: "redhat"
> boss: "screw that!"
:) Well I would not vote against RH and not for RH. They have their pros and
cons like everything else in life.

Sven

--
Revolution is not a dinner party, not an essay, nor a painting, nor a piece of
embroidery; it cannot be advanced softly, gradually, carefully, considerately,