Re: The myth of aptitude simplicity

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 01:13:25 -0800
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 09:21:49PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> >     Alrighty.  Automatic flag.  :)  There, ya got it.

> Nope, no good.  aptitude's automatic flagging is the same as apt's
> default behaviour, last I checked.

    Which is, what?  I've not really noticed a difference.

> >     So we can do apt-get install or aptitude install.  Difference is
> > aptitude tracks what it has installed for you and when the calling
> > package(s) is remove any package marked auto which no longer has
> > dependencies against it is also removed.

> OK, that's the only thing so far.

    Erm you do realize you just contradicted yourself?  :)

    That's pretty huge in my book.  The first time I saw libraries uninstalled
with the package that got them installed in the first place I thought, "How
freaking cool is that!"  Sure keeps the cruft down.

    The interactive mode alone is a godsend.  Sure I can try to resolve
conflicts with apt-get but it is a serious PITA.  I can also upgrade/downgrade
with apt-get but it, too, is a PITA.  Aptitude just enter interactive mode
look for the package I want to up/down grade, hit v to see what versions are
available and select from there.  I don't need to know what version numbers
there are nor which versions are associated with what tree.

    Dependency resolution is easier with aptitude.  See something is wrong on
an aptitude install run, abort it at the prompt, enter interactive, find the
package I wanted to install, hit r.  All requirements on that package are
there.  If nothing conflicts there hit d and check again.

    What else is nice.  Oh, interactive mode again, Categorical Browser.
Sometimes I know the task I want to install but not what tools are available
and certainly don't want to wade through 200+ lines of apt-cache search output
because they keywords I am thinking of are too vague.

    About the only thing I miss from apt proper is apt-cache search.
Supposedly there is a way for aptitude to search names and descriptions but I
have not stumbled on it yet.