Re: The myth of aptitude simplicity

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 20:05:26 -0800
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Why does everybody keep saying this when it's false?  Aptitude and
> apt-get are getting thier information from the same place and making
> the same decisions.  Both tell you quite specifically what is going on
> before it asks you to commit to it.  Nobody has yet demonstrated on
> the list anything that you can do in aptitude easier or faster than
> you can with some combination of apt-file, apt-cache and apt-get.

    Alrighty.  Automatic flag.  :)  There, ya got it.

> "But aptitude's a front end to apt!"  No, apt is a front end to dpkg,
> and aptitude is a replacement to dselect when using apt as a source.

    No, aptitude is a front end for apt.  In fact you can use aptitude much
the same was as apt.  Ex:

Usage: aptitude [-S fname] [-u|-i]       aptitude [options] <action> ...
  Actions (if none is specified, aptitude will enter interactive mode):

 install      - Install/upgrade packages
 remove       - Remove packages
 purge        - Remove packages and their configuration files
 hold         - Place packages on hold

    So we can do apt-get install or aptitude install.  Difference is aptitude
tracks what it has installed for you and when the calling package(s) is remove
any package marked auto which no longer has dependencies against it is also
removed.