Re: Newbie Installation Problems

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 10:18:16AM -0600, Craig Jackson wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 09:40, Rowland Fellows wrote:
> > I am able to install 3.0 successfully from the disk images I've
> > downloaded from Oregon State.  However, once installed, the system goes
> > directly into a login screen from which I cannot login into root.  How
> > to I get the system to boot in such a way that I can log in as root?

You want to login to X as root?  That's nearly[1] always a bad idea.
Use sudo or su as Craig suggested.

> Log in as a regular user and su. If you didn't create a regular user
>  during the install, it would be easy to ssh from another computer
> as root. Failing that, start Linux in single user mode by typing single after
>  linux when lilo first starts.

Or hit ctrl+alt+f1 to get to a VT.

[1] As far as I can tell, it's never a good idea, but I bet someone will
reply with some good reason to do it.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/