Re: Certification

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 12:09:06AM -0800, Barry deFreese wrote:
> Call me a cynic but I don't know too many companies that are not that
> way unless they are small, privately owned organizations.

That's the problem with the IT industry.  Too many assholes want to do
it because it's cool, and then the people who actually can do the shit
competantly get treated like dirt because the paper assholes drag the
(formerly) good name of the industry through the dirt.  The cert
vendors are worse: They caused this and hyped it to happen.

Thanks to high turnover from these pricks, who inevitably replace a
competant human that doesn't have a cert, I got tired of bouncing from
server room to server room on evenings and weekends, before leaving
for a year to work at the Zoo, then got a job doing tech support, got
laid off after a year.  That put me 19 years old with a resume longer
than my father's and unemployed for three months.  The idea of going
back to the phones made me sick and I didn't want to start taking
server room jobs at the same places that kept me around long enough
for them to get a paper asshole.  So I switched careers, I'm in the
public safety field now.  Yeah, there's a much higher possibility that
I go home in a box when I go into work, but it sure beats the phones.

To any younger readers here, don't make the same mistake I did: Don't
go working outsourced tech support until you're living in your car.
That sort of work has strictly enforced performance goals that are
totally unrealistic and, as often as not, unreachable given the
situation and everything they require you to ask the customer.  It's
the stress level of brain surgery with the pay rate of a video clerk.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user