Re: Using new Apple displays on Debian/Intel box?

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 03:46:15PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 02:42:42AM -0700, Randolph S. Kahle wrote:
> > I am looking at the new Apple displays (the 23" 1920x1200 display).
> >
> > What would I need to make this work on a Intel Pentium III box with an
> > ASUS P2B-DS MB?
> >
> > Am I crazy to try this? I would clearly need a new graphics card to
> > match the display.
> >
> > Would this be supported by the Debian distribution? XFree86 drivers?
> >
> > Randy
>
> AFAIK it is possible to get adaptors that enable you to connect a Mac
> monitor to a VGA card.
>
> I suspect your main problem will be that the monitor won't understand
> the signal it's getting until your system has booted far enough to
> load something that changes the resolution from DOS-style 80x25 to
> something that your monitor can cope with. This will probably mean
> enabling framebuffer support, and having an ordinary monitor to swap
> in if you have the need to diagnose booting problems at some future
> date.
>
> As far as X is concerned you just need to set the appropriate values
> for your monitor in XF86Config, and away you go.
>
> That's your other main problem, of course: extracting from Apple the
> horizontal and vertical sync range that the monitor will accept.

[ more fuel for the fire ]

Don't Mac monitors require sync on green?  Some graphics cards support
that on a din-15 VGA port, other don't.

If it's only Sun that's sync on green, sorry :-)

  If man asks for many laws it is only because he is sure that his
  neighbor needs them; privately he is an unphilosophical anarchist,
  and thinks laws in his own case superfluous.
          -- Will Durant