ut2003/Games in general woes

Ok, I installed ut2003 under debian 3.0 (woody) and it ran.  I have
recently upgraded to (Sid) and now it only goes to splash screen then
blacks out my window, just to return directly to my desktop.  So, I
installed tuxracer, all it does is turn my monitor on a different
resolution then quits, and thats not verry nice because It doesen't let
me ctl-alt-+ to return back to my original rez.  Here is the output I
get from ut2003:
WeaponXbox:~# ut2003
Xlib:  extension "XiG-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD" missing on display ":0.0".
OpenGL renderer relies on DXTC/S3TC support.

History:

Exiting due to error

Also as a side note if somebody knows, I have had problems downloading
maps when I connect to online servers....It downloads and then after it
finishes it tells me it had a error moving the file, any insight into
that would be appreciated as well.

Thank you for your time
Jason Self