Re: Printing Problem

hi ya roberto

on your print server...

d/l and install  magicfilter to make life 10x easier

vi /etc/printcap
	#
	# http://www.Linux-Consulting.com/Downloads/LPR/printcap
	#
	lp|Epson800:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
        :pw:132:\
        :fq:\
        :sh:mx#0:\
        :if=/usr/local/sbin/printers/stc800:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp-log:

	--
	-- you might wanna look for say stc400 instead
	-- in that magicfilter directory

restart lpd ...

lpr /etc/printcap

-----------------

for your other PCs... those would look at your printserver as
a network printer

for your other linux boxes ... printing to the linux box w/
the epson physcially connected to it

vi /etc/printcap
	#
	# ip# of the print server
	#
	lp|Epson800:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :rm=w.x.y.z:

resstart lpd ...

post any error messages

and to make things fun...
	- print an asci file first
	- print a very very small postscript file
	- print the tiger
	- print from netscape
	- print pages side-by-side

c ya
alvin

OK. I know it's been a few days, but here is where I am. I managed to get the printer installed using the Epson Stylus Color 800 ECS / P2 (or whatever it is) driver under lprngtool. Unfortunately, when I installed using magicfilter, lprngtool was not able to read the /etc/printcap. I can print an ASCII test page and also the PS test page (but only in B&W at low res 360x360). I am not sure what else I can do. I was not able to get it working under OpenOffice (on the local machine) and have not yet tried over the network. I would like to see if I can get this working in color at the higher resolution of 720x720. I checked out the lprng HOWTO but it was not very helpful (and a little too much technical crap, about 350 pages in all, for me to wade through at the moment).

-Roberto