RE: Problems with Quake ]I[ Arena

Just a quick update on my efforts to solve this sound problem with Q3A.

After trying 1.32b point release and after a *lot* of googling I am
convinced that the problem (crashing with sound) is related to i810 sound
driver. I am using i810 sound driver (OSS) (which is reporttedly 'very
alpha') and supports a smaller subset of features. When I run Q3A *without
sound*, I have no problems (and the game is very quick!).

So I guess OSS i810 driver is OK for oggs, mp3s and such but as as soon as
you try something more demanding like Q3A, problems may occur.

So, the next step I guess is to build kernel with Alsa sound drivers for
i810.  However, there are reports that Q3A crashes with beta drivers from
ALSA, so there is a catch there too...

Interesting...

Davor