Re: lm_sensors

George Georgalis <george@galis.org> writes:
> Since you (mess-mate) probably have your own reasons and desires to
> continue to use your own kernel, another alternative is to make a
> 'dummy' deb info entry.

The 'equivs' package can do this.  But, really, there are better
options.  Foremost is using kernel-package to build your kernel; when
you decide to upgrade, it'll be trivial to get rid of the old kernel
and modules, and it's very easy to add on packages like
i2c/lm-sensors/ALSA when you're building the kernel.  Alternatively,
you might try grabbing lm-sensors-source from unstable, unpacking the
tarball, and running 'debian/rules modules-nokpkg' with the correct
flags as root; read the README.Debian file for detail.  Or, if you
really just don't get along with the Debian infrastructure, use the
upstream package.

(People have suggested to me that lm-sensors modules not depend on the
relevant kernel-image; see e.g. http://bugs.debian.org/165508.  I
don't really understand why you'd want to use the Debian
infrastructure for kernel modules, but not the kernel proper...
[Actually, I do, sort of, and it's because the userspace package
recommends lm-sensors-mod, which you can only get by running
'make-kpkg modules-image', and because dselect is really annoying
about recommendations.])

	-- Abra Mitchell