Re: lm_sensors

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:42:38AM +0800, Jsen wrote:
>* Hugo Graumann (graumann@ucalgary.ca) wrote:
>> * On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 12:00:17AM +0100, mess-mate (messmate@tiscali.fr) wrote:

>> > Sorry, this error messages appaers on the install of this i2c package :
>> > dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of i2c-2.4.20:
>> >  i2c-2.4.20 depends on kernel-image-2.4.20; however:
>> >   Package kernel-image-2.4.20 is not installed.
>> > dpkg: error processing i2c-2.4.20 (--install):
>> >  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>> > Errors were encountered while processing:
>> >  i2c-2.4.20
>> > ?? This kernel is installed ! Compiled and installed by myself.
>> > (with the old method)
>> > What has I do other ?
>> > mess-mate
>>
>> If by old method you mean "make bzimage" etc, then I bet that is
>> why the package wont install. Looks like the i2c package wants to
>> see a 2.4.20 kernel installed as a Debian package before it is
>> satisfied. So even though you have a running 2.4.20 kernel, the
>> Debian package system doesn't know about it. I guess one fix
>> would be to make a kernel the Debian way with make-kpkg and
>> then install that kernel package (this is sort of implied in step 0).
>> After this you have a 2.4.20 kernel and the packaging system knows about
>> it as well so the dependencies will be correct.

>Well another way is, you'll get the tarball from lm-sensors website and  patch it up with your current kernel. You'll need to re-compile your current kernel though.

Since you (mess-mate) probably have your own reasons and desires to
continue to use your own kernel, another alternative is to make a
'dummy' deb info entry. Sorry I don't know exactly what the technique
is called because I haven't done it myself. but if for example you have
qmail compiled and running and now want to remove the exim package,
lots of dependencies will break. the answer is to make the info entry
for qmail as a "Provides: mail-transport-agent" which makes dpkg think
(correctly) that there is an MTA in place, as you remove exim and
install qmail-dummy at the same time.

I'm sure someone will jump in and explain, from experience, how to do
this :)

Anyway, if your kernel does have required i2c (et al) support I'm sure
this technique will allow your own kernel and deb everything else.

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org