Re: lm_sensors

Hi,

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 09:42:11 -0700
Hugo Graumann <graumann@ucalgary.ca> wrote:

> [...]
| >
| > I am re-posting this because I was made aware I sent it as a reply to
| > another post.  Sorry about that, so without further adue here is my
| > intended post now...
| >

| > I am having a great deal of trouble getting lm_sensors to work under
| > debian.  I am pretty sure that I am about 75% on the way to getting this
| > started but none the less, if someone could give me a bit of a
| > walk-through to getting things running I would appreciate it.  My
| > intention is mostly to monitor my hardware temp's etc, being that I am
| > using a water cooled system, and I am a bit uneasy about not knowing the
| > performance of my system, especially one that is overclocked.  If it
| > matters I am using sid, a soyo motherboard with a via chipset, and
| > kernel 2.4.20 ( I have built in everything in the i2c portion of
| > charcter devices )
| >

| > --
| >

| Got hardware sensors working on a few motherboards here and even
| took notes on how it was done. Perhaps these notes might be useful to you.
|
| Notes on Installing sensor support in a Debian system.
|
| 0) For the following, it is assumed that a new
|    2.4.20 kernel was already compiled, installed and
|    working. It is also assumed that the kernel was compiled
|    using the debian kernel build system make-kpkg. The
|    kernel source should be in /usr/src/linux either directly
|    or by a symbolic link.
|
| 1) have a working 2.4 series kernel with module support
|    included. Make sure that i2o items are NOT compiled
|    in. Once this kernel is installed and working, the modules
|    are ready to be included. Make sure you are running
|    the kernel to which the modules are to be added. This
|    seems to be the easiest way to make the module version
|    numbers consistent with the kernel version number.
|
| 2) obtain the debian packages: i2c-source,lm-sensors,
|       lm-sensors-source, and sensord. Optionally also
|       get other monitors like sensor-sweep-applet,
|       wmsensors or xsensors. The package xsensors is
|       not in woody but getting the source and building
|       it locally using apt-get source works fine.
|
| 3) Become root and change to the /usr/src directory.
|    In this directory there will be tar files named
|       i2c.tar.gz and lm-sensors.tar.gz. When these
|       tar files are expanded they write themselves
|       into the /usr/src/modules directory. This
|       directory may already exist if other modules
|       have already been installed in this kernel.
|
| 4) Extract the files by "tar zxf i2c.tar.gz" and
|    "tar zxf lm-sensors.tar.gz"
|
| 5) cd /usr/src/linux and run the command
|     "make-kpkg modules_image"
|    When the build has completed there will be
|    debian packages in /usr/src named
|      i2c-2.4.19_2.6.5-3+lb.custom.1.1_i386.deb
|    and
|      lm-sensors-2.4.19_2.6.4-3+lb.custom.1.1_i386.deb
|
| 6) install these packages with the commands
|      dpkg -i i2c-2.4.19_2.6.5-3+lb.custom.1.1_i386.deb
|   and
|      dpkg -i lm-sensors-2.4.19_2.6.4-3+lb.custom.1.1_i386.deb
Sorry, this error messages appaers on the install of this i2c package :
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of i2c-2.4.20:
 i2c-2.4.20 depends on kernel-image-2.4.20; however:
  Package kernel-image-2.4.20 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing i2c-2.4.20 (--install):
 i2c-2.4.20
?? This kernel is installed ! Compiled and installed by myself.
(with the old method)
What has I do other ?
mess-mate