Re: Configuration centralizing tool sought

also sprach Rohan Nicholls <rohan.nicholls@informaat.nl> [2003.02.01.1703 +0100]:
> I am not sure why you have lost faith in shell scripting, besides the
> language being horribly ugly, and useless for complicated development
> (which it is not meant, nor designed for, so fair enough:)), but perl is
> notoriously write only code as well.  But the other thing is that if you
> write a shell script for it, it will be very portable on unixy machines.

Right. But I gave up on it when I fough 30 minutes this morning on
reading in a file formatted like this:

<user>\s+<filename>

with a while loop:

while read user filename; do
  echo "$user : $filename"
done < thefile

this is supposed to work, but for whetever reason, it didn't this
morning, and would put everything into $user and leave $filename
blank. of course I checked $IFS. of course i did everything to debug.
i couldn't find the solution. so i gave up.

> I have something similar that I whipped up, but in scheme, and in
> about the same amount of time as this message took to write.  Btw.
> Perl doesn't take that long to learn, and if you want a fun language
> to hack in python is a good choice.

i've learnt perl. it's just been too long and it would take me ages to
get back into it. i will, just not today.

and python: i am not going to use a language where the indentation of
a line is part of the syntax. i just won't.

--
Please do not CC me when replying to lists that I read!

`. `'`

NOTE: The pgp.net keyservers and their mirrors are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc