Configuration centralizing tool sought

Hi all,

I am in search for a tool that does the following.

- According to a list of users, the tool goes and finds a particular
  file relative to the user's home directory. Let's say this file is
  called foo.rc. If the user list consists of {bob, jane, bill}, then
  the tool would go and find

    ~bob/foo.rc
    ~jane/foo.rc
    ~bill/foo.rc

- Before doing anything with the file, the tool then checks directory
  somewhere under /var for a previous version of the file, e.g.

    /var/spool/tool/bob/foo.rc
    /var/spool/tool/jane/foo.rc
    /var/spool/tool/bill/foo.rc

    * If a previous file is found, the tool generates a diff and
      mails it to root.

- The tool then copies the file from the user's homedirectory to
  /var/spool/tool/<user>/foo.rc.

That's it. Conceptually very simple, isn't it? I could write a shell
script, although perl might be better. But I want to know if there is
something like that out there already.

Or if someone more capable on perl than I (i.e. > 0) could whip that
out of his/her pocket for my perusal. I'll package it and give credit
in return.

Thanks,

--
Please do not CC me when replying to lists that I read!

`. `'`

NOTE: The pgp.net keyservers and their mirrors are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc