Secure Relaying -- a start

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 08:23:09AM -0500, Ed Lawson wrote:
> Pardon me for coming into the middle of this thread, but I now
> need to set up secure relaying on my stable box running Exim.
> If I read the messages back from the EHLO command correctly,
> the "regular" Exim package is not compiled with authentication
> options enabled.  This means, does it not, that no
> authentications methods are available for Exim using the
> "regualr" package?  which in turn means one must install
> Exim-tsl to have any form of authentication absent compiling
> your own?

holy cow. i wouldn't have known the answer to this one,
yesterday morning...

ready?

	apt-get install exim-doc-html

then browse to /usr/share/doc/exim/manual.html/spec.html; what
you're looking for is "what makes exim publicize its
authentication schemes..." right? so, head for section 11 where
you'll find "auth_always_advertise":

	auth_always_advertise

	Type: boolean
	Default: true

	This option is available only when Exim is compiled with
	authentication support. Normally, if any server
	authentication mechanisms are configured, Exim advertises
	them in response to any EHLO command. ...

so before exim advertises that it's able to do the authentication
dialog, the compiled exim must have had certain flags set, which
the standard debian/woody exim does; then if the compile flags
have been set properly (we debian newbies need not worry about
the ragu -- "it's in there") you refer to ANY auth mechanism in
your exim.conf file, it'll "advertise" it:

	# exim -bh 192.168.1.2
	<snip>
	220 server ESMTP Exim 3.35 #1 Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:24:32 -0600
	ehlo somewhere.there
	250-server Hello duo [192.168.1.2]
	250-SIZE
	250-PIPELINING
	250-AUTH BASIC LOGIN
	250 HELP
	quit
	221 server closing connection

(you can learn more about "exim -bh" and "exim -be" in section 5
of the manual.)

the line

	250-AUTH BASIC LOGIN

shows i've got two auth clauses in my exim.conf (one of which i'm
still working on), BASIC and LOGIN -- at the very bottom of the
exim.conf file:

	# seems to work:
	login:
	   driver = plaintext
	   public_name = LOGIN
	   server_prompts = "Username:: : Password::"
	   server_condition = "${if crypteq{$2}{${extract{1}{:}{${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/exim/passwd}{$value}{*:*}}}}}{1}{0}}"
	   server_set_id = $1

	# refuses to cooperate -- but i'll get it eventually:
	plain:
	    driver = plaintext
	    public_name = BASIC
	    server_condition = ${if pam{$2:${sg{$3}{:}{::}}}{yes}{no}}
	    server_set_id = $2

if i comment those out in my exim.conf file, exim won't say
anything about authentication -- it'd all be unavailable
(non-configured) anyhow, right?

at least -- that's my setup, as i understand it, so far. today.
not applicable in all areas. offer valid for a limited time. some
restrictions apply. see store for details.

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #63 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
What's the best way to GET RESPONSES ON DEBIAN-USER? There are
several things to keep in mind:
	1) Debians are all volunteers because they enjoy what they
	   do; they don't owe you diddly (and you'll be one of us
	   when you start getting involved): ASK, and ye shall
	   recieve; DEMAND, and ye shall be rebuffed
	2) Provide evidence showing that you did put effort into
	   finding a solution to your problem (at least demonstrate
	   that you've seen the manual)
	3) Be known to offer pointers and assistance to others
	4) Give enough information so that someone else can figure
	   out what you're after; and make it legible
	5) Enjoy yourself and have fun -- it'll come across, and we
	   enjoy people who enjoy life; a petulant whiner seldom
	   gets any useful pointers other than "Out, damn spot!"