Re: exim and relaying -- for ONE user

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 12:37:32AM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 08:48:17PM -0600, will trillich wrote:
> | On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 03:59:40PM -0500, Jeremy Gaddis wrote:
> | > SMTP Authentication sounds like a prime candidate.
> |
> | well it sounds good. isn't that what exim already does? (i guess
> | not. lead on, mcduff!)
>
> Yeah, once you configure it.

right. here's why people (read as 'non-geeks') insist that
documentation is lacking in the linux world:

	35.1 Generic options for authenticators

	driver

	Type: string
	Default: unset

	This option must always be set. It specifies which of the
	available authenticators is to be used.

period, end of section.

<rant>
no clue given HOW to determine which "available authenticators"
are supplied, WHAT they might be called, nor HOW TO FIND OUT.
what is an authenticator? will "strings `which exim`" tell me?
where are they defined? how can you make more (or less) of them
available or change their parameters?

[[
reminds me of microso~1's visual basic documentation:

	DATE

	x = date()

	x now contains the system date.

no clue how to get tomorrow's date from that, nor how to
determine which month we're in, how to affect the formatting of
it on output...
]]

is "available authenticators" even the right term? at the bottom
of my exim.conf there's some commented-out stuff like

	plain:
	   driver = plaintext
	   public_name = PLAIN

which when uncommented, leads "exim -bP authenticator_list" to
display

	plain

leading me to believe that *i* (via the exim.conf file) am
defining which authenticators are avilable, and that the drivers
are something else entirely. "plain" would be the authenticator,
which i'm setting up; "plaintext" is the driver, which is used
*by* the authenticator.

hence the conclusion that the documentation is poopy.
</rant>

anybody got a pointer to an english version of how to set up
smtp authentication via exim 3.3?

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #50 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
Want to specify EDITOR SETTINGS WHEN LAUNCHING FROM MUTT?
Put something like this in your ~/.muttrc file:
	set editor="vim -c 'set ft=mail tw=64'"
That ensures that Vim syntax highlighting is set for "mail"
patterns, and that text will wrap automatically at 64
columns. (For more info, try ":help tw" or ":help ft" when
inside Vim. Also, browse /usr/share/doc/mutt/html/manual.html
for the full scoop on customizing Mutt.)