Re: Setting up the mail program

* Joris Huizer <joris_huizer@yahoo.com> [30-01-2003 23:25]:
> I'd especially like to use pine because I really like
> that prog but it doesn't handle smtp - so how should I
> do this ?

- Sending mail
Configure exim to use a so-called smart-host. This
means that all local mail gets delivered directly and mail to
'other' people is delivered to smtp.my_provider.net, which then
takes on responsibility to deliver the message to the recipient.

Your best bet is to run eximconfig as root. This script creates
/etc/exim/exim.conf. You can edit this file yourself if needed.

- Receiving mail
I would use fetchmail to get messages.  Fetchmail roughly works like
this: "user@my_provider.net is my_user here".

In other words fetchmail pops a message and passes it through to
your local exim which delivers it the way it's configured to do (per
default to /var/mail/my_user.

Perhaps you need tell pine to use /var/mail/my_user as your inbox,
but it's likely already setup like that.

Depending on the amount and type of mail you receive, you can use
procmail and/or an anti-spam tool. I use procmail to filter incoming
messages from mailing lists to their own folder.

Make sure that you are able to send mail first before you install
fetchmail. Test this by sending messages to other users on your own
system or to a web-based mailsystem that you have access to.

Bob