Re: Setting up the mail program

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 11:05:49AM +0100, Robert Ian Smit wrote:
> * Joris Huizer <joris_huizer@yahoo.com> [30-01-2003 23:25]:
> > I'd especially like to use pine because I really like
> > that prog but it doesn't handle smtp - so how should I
> > do this ?
>
> - Sending mail
> Configure exim to use a so-called smart-host. This
> means that all local mail gets delivered directly and mail to
> 'other' people is delivered to smtp.my_provider.net, which then
> takes on responsibility to deliver the message to the recipient.
>
> Your best bet is to run eximconfig as root. This script creates
> /etc/exim/exim.conf. You can edit this file yourself if needed.
>
> - Receiving mail
> I would use fetchmail to get messages.  Fetchmail roughly works like
> this: "user@my_provider.net is my_user here".

This cryptic information goes in ~/.fetchmailrc. Here's mine, for
example:

# Configuration created Fri Nov 29 01:13:30 2002 by fetchmailconf
set postmaster "postmaster"
poll pop3.ukonline.co.uk with proto POP3
       user "jah.pigeon" there with password "foo" is pigeon here

(fetchmailconf runs under X.)

Pigeon