Re: apt-get --compile source gcc-2.95: test suite failures

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:57:27 +0000,
Pigeon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Desiring to build gcc-2.95 optimised for my woody/k7 system, I set CFLAGS and
> CXXFLAGS to "-O2 -march=i686" (seems the closest we can get to "k7" at
> the moment) and did an apt-get --compile source gcc-2.95.
>
> Reading the output from the build, in the section where the test suite
> is run, I get 1560 unexpected failures from gcc! and 654 for g++!
> Doesn't like my CFLAGS? Tried it again with no CFLAGS... this time gcc
> gives 1564 unexpected failures - slightly worse.
>
> Most of the failures appear to be due to a small number of tests which
> each give lots of errors.
>
> I realise this post is lacking in detail. This is because all I am
> asking is: is this level of unexpected failures normal? What do other
> people get from apt-get --compile source gcc-2.95? Or from getting the
> original (non-Debianised) source and building that the traditional
> way? I'd expect some failures because no software is perfect, but 1560
> seems rather a lot.

Missing dependencies perhaps? Maybe you should do as root first:
apt-get build-dep gcc-2.95 [or whatever your version's packages
is called? For my part I use apt-get only to download the source,
and either dpkg-buildpackage or debuild -options to build.