apt-get --compile source gcc-2.95: test suite failures

Hi,

Desiring to build gcc-2.95 optimised for my woody/k7 system, I set CFLAGS and
CXXFLAGS to "-O2 -march=i686" (seems the closest we can get to "k7" at
the moment) and did an apt-get --compile source gcc-2.95.

Reading the output from the build, in the section where the test suite
is run, I get 1560 unexpected failures from gcc! and 654 for g++!
Doesn't like my CFLAGS? Tried it again with no CFLAGS... this time gcc
gives 1564 unexpected failures - slightly worse.

Most of the failures appear to be due to a small number of tests which
each give lots of errors.

I realise this post is lacking in detail. This is because all I am
asking is: is this level of unexpected failures normal? What do other
people get from apt-get --compile source gcc-2.95? Or from getting the
original (non-Debianised) source and building that the traditional
way? I'd expect some failures because no software is perfect, but 1560
seems rather a lot.

Pigeon