Re: [OT] /lib/i686/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 06:43:06PM +0100, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I know, somehow off topic, but a student I am supervising uses RedHat
> -- for reasons I do not know.
>
> Compiling iptables-1.2.7a locally on that box there results in a very
> strange error message when trying to launch iptables afterwards:
>
>   [root@localhost iptables-1.2.7a]# iptables
>   iptables: /lib/i686/libc.so.6: \
>   version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by iptables)
>
> As I wrote, I have no idea why this can happen: I myself re-compiled
> the whole iptables on that box already twice -- and searching the web
> has not helped me further.  That's the reason I hope to dare ask here.

Normally, this is caused by compiling a program on a system using a
newer version of a library (libc, in this case) than the one you run it
on.  I've absolutely no idea how this could happen on one machine
though, since the program would, almost by definition, be linked against
the C library installed on the system.

-rob