kde/xserver problems

Everytime I try to start kde3 (version 3.1.0) it reaches the inititialize peripherals stage and then it appears that the xserver crashes.

I had the same problem with kde2 (version 2.2.2-13.woody.5). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling xserver-xfree86 and associated packages. I also tried uninstalling kde2 and then installing the kde3 deb packages available on the kde site. I can get an xterminal with xinit or startx no problem. I can get xdm or kdm to start without difficulty as well.

I have included the tail end of the XFree86.0.log (I searched for any EE lines and there are none but though it was a little long to include in full - I can if it would be helpful) as well as the .xession-errors files generated under root and a general user account.

Has anyone else seen anything like this before? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

JF

Here is the last 20 lines of /var/log/XFree86.0.log:
------
(**) Generic Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(==) Generic Mouse: Buttons: 3
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
(**) Generic Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Generic Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(WW) Cannot open APM

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 4.  Server aborting

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to submit@bugs.debian.org.
------

The .xsession-errors file when starting x from root:
------
startkde: Starting up...
artsmessage: Fatal IO error: client killed
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
knotify: cannot connect to X server :0
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-4964' to 'knotify'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 4943, errno = 2
kdeinit: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
warning: leaving MCOP Dispatcher and still 8 object references alive.
  - Arts::SampleStorage
  - Arts::Synth_MULTI_ADD
  - Arts::Synth_MULTI_ADD
  - Arts::Synth_PLAY
  - Arts::StereoVolumeControl
  - Arts::StereoEffectStack
  - Arts::Synth_BUS_DOWNLINK
  - Arts::SoundServerV2
warning: leaving MCOP Dispatcher and still 74 types alive.
------

The .xsession-errors file when starting x as a regular user:
------
xterm:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
------