Re: Which kernel-image for a Via Ezra chip?

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 07:50:58AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 22:55, Kent West wrote:
> > Ron Johnson wrote:

> > >The Via C3 series, of which the Ezra is part of, is x86-compatabile:
> > >http://www.via.com.tw/en/viac3/c3.jsp
> > >In fact, it uses the Socket-370, just like the P3 (Tualatin).
> > >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Via+Ezra&btnG=Google+Search
> > >First hit:
> > >http://www.geek.com/procspec/via/ezra-t.htm
> > >

> > Well, yes, But does that mean I need the
> >     kernel-image-2.4-386
> >     kernel-image-2.4-586tsc
> > or the
> >     kernel-image-2.4-686
> > file, or perhaps some other? These are all "x86-compatible", are they
> > not? If I had to make a guess, I'd guess 686, but I was hoping to have
> > an authoritative answer before downloading a possibly wrong kernel over
> > a slow-dial-up connection. And now I'm 90 miles away from that box, so
> > trying to walk a newbie through the process via email and getting the
> > wrong kernel has even less appeal. Oh well, I reckon it can wait until I
> > make another trip down that way; the only real reason he needs to
> > upgrade is to hopefully fix a mis-aligned mouse pointer and a lack of
> > sound capability. Thanks for the response!
>
> Well, you can't go wrong with the -386...
>
> Because of the possible lack of MTTR in the C3, I wouldn't try the
> other unless I had broadband, though.

[Sorry about the late reply]
This has come up both on d-d and here, and it seems that these C3 chips
*are* 686s according to some mythical standard, but they lack a
particular instruction that everyone elses 686 chips have and that GCC
assumes is available...From what I've read, the kernel will work, but
some userland apps (OpenSSL) will fail.  Well, did, anyway; OpenSSL in
sid is fixed now.

-rob