Re: Fwd: getting postfix + sasl to work

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> also sprach Derrick 'dman' Hudson <dman@dman.ddts.net> [2003.01.27.1949 +0100]:
>>     1)  the pam config file can be found
>>     2)  the pam module referenced can be found
>>     3)  any other resources the pam module needs can be found
>
> which is a lot, and i am not willing to maintain a chroot with all
> these features.

There was a time when Wietse spoke about adding an auth service to
postfix so that all the auth stuff could be ripped out of smtpd.  I
don't know what happened to that, for all I know it got into postfix
2.0...

The idea was to leave smtpd in the jail even when the auth stuff
required elevated privs. authd (or whatever it would be called) would
run with whatever privs were necessary to do the authentication.
smtpd and authd would communicate like any other postfix daemon (unix
domain sockets normally).

If you look at the postfix source, you can see that Wietse is not too
happy about linking SASL with smtpd.  Of course, he is pretty paranoid
about security... much more than most would ever be.

The SASL_README file starts out with:

<quote>
WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

This code is not blessed by Wietse.

To use SASL support on Debian GNU/Linux, you must install the
postfix-tls package.

People who go to the trouble of installing Postfix may have the
expectation that Postfix is more secure than some other mailers.

With SASL authentication enabled in the Postfix SMTP client and
SMTP server, Postfix becomes no more secure than other mail systems
that use the Cyrus SASL library.

The Cyrus SASL library has too little documentation about how the
software is supposed to work; and it is too much code to be used
in a security-sensitive program such as an SMTP client or server.
</quote>

--
-rupa