Re: what's fstype 83? "Linux"?

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:20:40PM -0800, nate wrote:
> will trillich said:
>
> > files on /dev/hdb2 have modification times no later than
> > september 2000 -- pre-ext3 by a long shot. and i'm *positive*
> > i've never even tried reiserfs, certainly not two-and-a-half
> > years ago. wasn't ext2 the default for formatting under the
> > potato or slink install? (as i recall, potato would start out as
> > ext2 and then offered an ext3 option later... nope, ext3 didn't
> > work either.)
>
> Before reiserfs, jfs, xfs, and ext3 the only filesystem I ever saw
> supported was ext2 going back to my first slackware 3.2 install in '96.
> there was the UMSDOS stuff too, but I never knew anyone that used it,
> and that resided on a fat partition anyways.

Oh, if you were unlucky you had to deal with ext, xiafs, or minix.

> > racking my brain (what there is left of it) i stir no memory of
> > anything unusual, file-system-wise. i'm just about certain that
> > all three of these partitions would be the same file system.
> >
> > yet /dev/hdb2 mounts like a charm.
>
> I'd try what another poster suggested, try the debian slink rescue disks.
> or just format it and forget about it, if you haven't needed the data
> on that disk for 2 years you probably won't miss anything :)

IMO, the OP's problem is the screwy geometry.  Note that the only
partition that could be mounted was the one which ended on a proper
boundary.

  A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take
  from you.
          -- Ramsey Clark