Fwd: getting postfix + sasl to work

did people see this and just noone respond?

----- Forwarded message from martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> -----

Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 00:08:47 +0100
From: martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org>
To: debian users <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: getting postfix + sasl to work

I can't get SASL support working with postfix on Debian Woody. postfix
and TLS are fully configured and operable, now I tried to enable SASL
by:

  1) installing
       - sasl2-bin and libsasl2
       - libsasl2-modules-plain
       - libsasl2-digestmd5-plain

  2) configuring postfix' main.cf
       smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
       smtpd_sasl_local_domain = smtp.madduck.net

       smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous, noplaintext

       broken_sasl_auth_clients = no

  3) configuring postfix' master.cf (the \ at the end is not in the
     file, just here to split the line)
       smtps      inet  n - n - - smtpd -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes \
         -o smtpd_sasl_security_options=noanonymous
       submission inet  n - n - - smtpd -o smtpd_enforce_tls=yes \
         -o smtpd_sasl_security_options=noanonymous

  4) starting saslauthd with PAM as the auth method in
     /etc/default/saslauthd
       /etc/init.d/saslauthd start

  5) telling postfix to use saslauthd
       echo "pwcheck_method: saslauthd" > /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf
       chmod 0644 !$

  6) restarting postfix
       /etc/init.d/postfix restart

When I now try to connect to either of the ports smtp, smtps or
submission (25, 465, 587), the logs show this on the mailserver:

  postfix/smtpd[28047]: fatal: no SASL authentication mechanisms
  postfix/master[26121]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/smtpd pid
    28047 exit status 1
  postfix/master[26121]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/smtpd: bad command
    startup -- throttling

and no connection can be made with the respective port. What am
I doing wrong?

--
Please do not CC me! Mutt (www.mutt.org) can handle this automatically.

`. `'`

NOTE: The pgp.net keyservers and their mirrors are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc

----- End forwarded message -----