Install problems: 3.0r1/i386 and Realtek 8319 network card

I want to install Debian over the network. I downloaded the 2 'vanilla'
boot floppies, rescue.bin and root.bin, and booted with those. They
have kernel 2.2.22, and they did not recognise my ethernet card. Then
I decided to try the 2.4bf floppies, which have kernel 2.4.18. I see in
the kernel config that the following 3 device drivers are compiled in:

CONFIG_8139CP=y
CONFIG_8139TOO=y
CONFIG_8139TOO_8129=y

When I boot with these, my ethernet card is recognised, and I can choose
the network install method. However, the card actually fails to work,
even though it has been recognised. If I switch to the console on ALT-F2,
and ping the card's address, the ping works. However, I cannot ping any
other host on the network, nor can I ping the router. So the network
installation fails. I started the installation with "linux debug",
and I do see some odd errors in the debug log:

eth0: TX timeout

I could try and do an installation from a CDROM, but I'm afraid that even
then, my network card will either not be recognised (older 2.2 kernel)
or not work with the newer 2.4 kernel.

The card works just fine under RedHat 7.3 and 8.0 (where the kernel is
usually patched with their own patches), and FreeBSD 4.7.

Any clues as to how I can debug and/or solve this issue?

--
Anand Buddhdev
http://anand.org